Followers

Monday 22 September 2014

3 D Gazebo /Lantern tutorial

Gazebo tutorial 
         Dear friends ,Dr Sonia here sharing yet another 3 D project made with dies[but doable in principle even if you don't have a die cutting machine!].I used the same Marianne Petra Corner Die set I used to make the 3 D chariot .  And I must thank everyone who showered me with wonderful encouraging comments about the 3D Chariot both on the blog and on Facebook....I never expected it would be so loved! Thank you so much !
I made a 3 D Gazebo which is big enough to house a  little doll .You could even call it a Bird house or a Lantern as it houses a battery operated tea-light.
Paper Gazebo
The picture below shows the dome of the lantern with a large red diamond and a tiny hook to help hang the lantern. I dressed up my lantern with delicate lacey bows made with the new Sue Wilson Filigree bow die! These are so delicate and beautiful!
Gazebo
I actually wanted to make a "Diwali Lantern"  but I must have been thinking of Valentines day and Christmas combined as I added a dangling heart and made a Christmas theme colored lantern!
3 D lantern
The cute and dainty pollen bunches winding around my Gazebo pillars are crystal beaded pollen which are part of the latest embellishment collection Shalini has brought into the store!
Gazebo tutorial  6
Crystal Beaded Pollen
How to make a 3 D Gazebo/Lantern
You dont really need to use the same dies I have used in this tutorial ---just sharing the pictures so that the same principles can be adapted to a shaped die cut / punch you may be already having and you can even apply the same principles to hand cut pieces.
Gazebo tutorial  16
Gazebo tutorial 
These are the 2 dies from the Marianne Petra Corner Die set I used to make the dome of the Gazebo.
Gazebo tutorial  7
Die cut 
Here is the die cut "unadorned" and using the techniques I shared in the Fun with Dies post here is how it was transformed after inking and heat embossing!
Gazebo tutorial  8
Inked and Embossed
I cut and heat embossed 6 of the above die cuts and folded them in half as shown below. As I said don't despair if you don't have the exact die I have shown-- you can make a gazebo dome using a humble circle shape too and use it as a base to make the rest of your Gazebo! [See tutorial to make a 3 D structure using Circles : Easy Paper decoration tutorial ]
Folded die cuts
Apply glue to half of one folded die cut shape and stick to half of another one as shown below
Stick Die cuts
Stick  all 6 pieces and your dome is nearly done.You get a fairly lovely shape even if you use only 5 die cuts but I found working with 6  made the rest of the 3 D construction easier [ like placing the pillars] !
Gazebo Roof
Before you stick the last 2 pieces, add a hook if you plan to hang your lantern. I used a long jewelry finding and threaded a large bead on one end and made a hook on the other end.Later on I added a dangling heart to the hook on the inside and a pearl- ruby to the hook on the top.
Gazebo dome
To complete the Gazebo roof, I used the Marianne die cut shown below.It looks rather plain doesn't it..well instead of inking and embossing , I took a shortcut!
Gazebo tutorial  10
Marianne Petra Corner
I know many of you will already be embossing your die cuts with the Bigshot/Cuttlebug...well this was the first time I did it ! So sharing yet another way to explore  the maximum potential of your dies!
Gazebo tutorial  11
Die cut embossing
Place the die cut within the die itself [on your acrylic cutting plate]and place a Spellbinders Embossing pad atop it and then your other cutting plate.
Gazebo tutorial  12
Die cut embossing
Just one run through your big shot and you will get beautiful embossed impressions on your die cut as shown below.
Gazebo tutorial  13
Die cut embossing
Before I got the embossing pad, I tried  to emboss die cuts with thick felt and even foam-- I did manage to get some amount of embossing but my foam/ felt spoilt and disintegrated real fast and on comparison the embossing was not as deep and beautiful as what I got using the proper Spellbinders Embossing pad.
Gazebo tutorial  14
Embossed Die cut
To give sturdiness and complete the Gazebo roof ,attached 6 of the above die-cuts between the arms of the basic frame made earlier.
Gazebo tutorial  21
Gazebo
Here is the aerial view of the Gazebo roof showing the pretty dies and bows.
Sue Wilson bows
Here you can see the dangling heart and pearly beaded sprays [See Easy Beaded Spray tutorial ]
Gazebo tutorial  24
Hanging Heart
Embossed 6 of the 3rd design in the Marianne Petra die set and folded them into little "crowns" as shown.
Gazebo tutorial  25
Marianne Petra Die
Glued the "legs" of the die cuts together so that they literally stood up to embrace my tea light!
Gazebo tutorial  26
Lantern tutorial 
Stuck the Marianne design arrangement atop a circle ,leaving enough space in the center to fit in a battery operated tea-light.
Gazebo tutorial  27
Tattered Lace die
I used a  Big Bite to punch a hole in the center of a Tattered Lace rose [ I love this die--- even though it is so delicate and detailed it cuts like butter!] and fit it atop a battery operated tea light.
Gazebo tutorial  28
Tea light
Here is the lighted up tea light!
Gazebo tutorial  29
Lantern tutorial 
Made pillars using corrugated paper and stuck it to the base circle.
Lantern tutorial 
Stick the top of the pillars to the Gazebo roof. You can wind a piece of card/ corrugated paper around the base circle and pillars to make your base sturdy and strong.
Gazebo tutorial  32
Gazebo tutorial 
Tip : Obsessing a bit about symmetry, gluing and re-gluing is the key to building a good looking and sturdy Lantern/Gazebo! Working with 6 eg :6 spokes on the roof, 6 pillars, 6 sides  etc makes it easier to build a symmetrical 3 D structure than working with 5 !
Gazebo tutorial 
Phew that was a super long post but I do hope you enjoyed my first DIY Lantern ,and hoping some of the principles shared will come in useful to help you make your own Diwali /Christmas Lantern for the upcoming festive season.
Do tell me how you like it.

38 comments:

  1. wow!!! this is lovely Sonia!!! Amazing!! you always amaze me with your creative ideas!!
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berina...what time is it at your place...Here it is 2 am!! Posted this as I wouldnt get time in the morning! So sweet of you to drop in with wonderful encouraging words every time

      Delete
    2. I think it was around 4:30 PM here :) Luckily I saw it as soon as you posted it :) I couldn't miss it!! it is gorgeous Sonia!!

      Delete
  2. Stunning Dr Sonia..loved it to bits.. :) Lantern is soo Beautiful.. lovely center part with led tea light and die cuts surrounding it.. corrugated pillars and creeper pollen's on it are cute..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Radhka . I tried rolling paper to make the pillars but struggled to get the thickness of all 6 pillars equal ;then remembered about my fail-safe corrugated paper and it was super easy! I used 1 inch width corrugated paper to make the pillars.

      Delete
  3. Oh my Sonia...you are on a creative spree too! Amazing construction...you know how to get the best out of dies. This is so beautiful and functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rupa...I really struggled to execute this one...had to make a rough prototype to identify all the architectural key points!

      Delete
  4. this is stunning dear, hope will soon viist your to know more about dies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shylaa. Shylaa you can always drop in at my home anytime...you know you are always welcome!! Die cutting helps take crafting to a whole new level!

      Delete
  5. Such an innovative and creative idea. This can be such an exclusive gift for any festival !!!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing talent <3U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vinita...I thought I would make a Diwali lantern but it ended up in Christmas style!! And anyway my daughter has laid claim to it and her little hands fit perfectly inside it so I think its going to house some of her little dolls!

      Delete
  6. Doc.. Please. . Take a break... you prove me wrong every time.. This looks damn cute.. and beautiful use of dies..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khush you are such a darling...and yeah I am taking a break...off to the Jungle tomorrow!

      Delete
  7. Omg......what have u done...where do u get ideas from...its unbelievable to create something like this with these products ......
    Its jaw dropping beautiful.....awesome work...hats off DOC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Shalini...so glad you liked it...I was tempted to call you and ask how it was.It looks magical in real but I was not able to get proper photos capturing it in 3 D!

      Delete
  8. Loved it to pieces!. You are just awesome at what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning...stunning and beyond stunning!!! Love the fabulous fairytale look to it....i wish i was a princess and it was my real gazebo!! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Tejal if you notice I do tend to create a lot of fantasy/ fairy tale stuff...I guess its the influence of having my own little crafty princess at home! And she did say this one was fabulous---she can be brutally honest at times and this one passed in her eyes!!

      Delete
  10. Wow ! The structure of gazebos itself is beautiful and you have taken it to different level with all those beautiful dies and intricate bows, making it a romantic dream :D !I always struggle in getting everything symmetrical in 3d structures..your tips are very helpful :)Loved the pop of color with the red pollens .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pooja symmetry is the key when we make 3 D structures and pop up cards. This particular project was a big challenge...even a millimeter difference in the pillar height was significant. I wasted a few diecuts making a rough experimental model otherwise it would not have worked out! Also tried with 5 pillars/ spokes and found it was super tough!

      Delete
  11. This is just another beautiful piece of art from you creative mind... Salute to you.. Its amazing to see how you use dies to create magic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nikkita...Got my hands on the beautiful Marianne dies only recently Nikkita and I wanted to showcase them to their maximum potential!

      Delete
  12. Beyond imagination!!!
    It's amazing ...stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Arjita...enjoy your holiday.So sweet of you to take time to comment when you should be enjoying your holiday!

      Delete
  13. Another shocking one. Just superb. Great uses of dies. Hope I could make amazing like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Litasha...you are one amazing crafter...Whenever I see Pista shells I think of you and your amazing creative spark. You are already making amazing stuff!! And Thank you so much for such sweet words!

      Delete
  14. This is awesome doc! Just loved every bit of ur creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharada...always feels good to get a comment from you

      Delete
  15. wow doc sonia ...you are brilliant, excellent crafter and this creation show ,their is engineer to inside you . how much patience you have dear. aapse to personally milne ka mann karta hai ...everytime i see your creation ,i firstly stare at pics for long time ,and then your writing make all concept clear, but kabhi daring hi nahi ho pati ki smae creation try kare, you do it so brilliantly .love your all creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megha you are so sweet...always miss your comments when you take a break from blogging!

      Delete
  16. Great information provided. I appreciate your work. I like the way you write. Awesome, keep it up.
    leather cladding and paneling chandigarh
    Car parking chandigarh
    Wooden Decking in chandigarh

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you !